Once you have read Markel, Chapters 4 and 6, I’d like you to apply the information by analyzing some example biography statements.
Read several of the biographies linked below. I gathered a range of biographies from different kinds of sites. Please be sure to read at least one formal company/academic bios and one informal bio.
- Corps of Cadets Staff Biographies
- Draper Aden About Us page
- Virginia Tech Athletic Fund Staff
- Federal Mogul Corporate Leadership
- American Veterinary Pathology Associates
- Rackspace Leadership
- Uncork-It Team
Less formal bios
- Bike Barn Staff
- WSLS Staff
- Campus Automotive Staff
- Faces of the Forest Service
- Special Olympics of Virginia Staff & Board of Directors (there aren’t bios, but mouse over the photos)
Go to the Analyzing Example Bio Statements post in the forums and talk explain what you can tell about audience and purpose for the bio statements based on the information they include and the tone of the biography. There are some questions there to help you get started.
(Optional) Once you have posted about your readings, read through what others had to say, and reply to one or more of the ideas or questions that your classmates have posted.